I am over age 70 1/2 and have begun RMD from my retirement plan. Can I contribute my RMD distributions to a Roth IRA?

One of the stipulations to contribute to a Roth IRA is having "earned income" - which does not include investment income. Therefore, unless an individual who is over 70 1/2 is still employed, he cannot fund a Roth with distributions from a retirement plan.

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor should it be construed as tax or legal advice. If you have a tax question or legal question, please consult your tax professional or attorney.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Speak With An Associate

Business Hours

7 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Central time)


(785) 438-3000
(800) 888-2461


(785) 368-1772

Mailing Address

Security Benefit
One Security Benefit Place
Topeka, KS 66636

Overnight Mailing Address

Security Benefit
Mail Zone 500
One Security Benefit Place
Topeka, KS 66636-0001